Volleyball smashes through with consistent victories

A

fter serving Monta Vista High School a 3-1 defeat on Sept. 13, the Paloa Alto High School girls volleyball team is excelling with a record of eight wins and two losses over the course of two weeks.

“I would say our biggest improvement this year is spreading out our offense,” said Jessica Lee, senior team captain and setter. “Our middles have improved a lot this season and they have become huge contributors to us winning our matches. I think we have a well-balanced offense and [we] get better with every practice and match.”

Michelle Li, junior and defensive specialist, noticed many internal and external improvements this year  which have benefitted the team.

“We played many difficult teams during preseason so we learned to identify our weaknesses going into league,” Li said. “Though we did lose some seniors last year, I feel that our team this year is really strong since we have a lot of returners and newcomers. Our league opponents have lost a lot of their key players as well, which weakened the competition.”

The team’s winning streak has not taken away from players continuing to improve their techniques and developing their playing styles.

I feel that our team this year is really strong since we have a lot of returners and newcomers.

Michelle Li

Junior

“Passing is a big strength for us, and we know that when we pass well, we have a better offense and it makes it easier for us to win games,” Lee said. “Consistency is still a big focus for us because we struggle with it but we want to improve so that we don’t have as many ups and downs through the season, and it can just be steady, consistent, fun playing.”

Although every game presents unique challenges for the team, their toughest match was against Los Gatos High School. Even so, the team came out on top with a score of 3-1.

“[Los Gatos has] always been big rivals of ours,” said Katie Passarello, senior team captain and middle blocker. “They’re a great team and their crowd is always rowdy.”

Lee and the rest of the team have high hopes for the season, and are excited to improve upon their skills as individuals and as a team. They also hope to beat last year’s sixth-place ranking in the Central Coast Section (CCS) playoffs.

“[I’m looking forward to] continuing to get better, hopefully winning league, and bringing home a CCS title to Paly,” Lee said.

The team will play in-league rivals Mountain View High School on Oct. 11 and Los Altos High School on Oct. 13.