Secession would be advantageous to residents of California

In 2019, Californians will be given the opportunity that their southern neighbors fought and died for a century and half ago. This opportunity will come in the form of vote to secede from the Union of the United States of America.

Now disregard the fact that this article exists within the opinion section when I say that California is, objectively speaking, the greatest state in the Union. Our Gross State Product (GSP) is the sixth largest in the world. It has the greatest diversity of terrain and population in the United States, where a citizen could hypothetically snow ski in Lake Tahoe in the morning, drive South and be surfing in San Diego by sundown. California is where you can be wine-tasting in Napa Valley, working at a new start-up or filming some high-budget film without ever having to leave the state.

We are the Golden State. The envy of all the fly-over paupers and East Coast inferiors, and frankly, deserving of the privilege of being an independent country.

Now I know what you’re thinking: “You have riled me up, good sir, with patriotic language that has evoked within me a sense of nationalistic pride for this, the greatest state of the Union. You have done your job as an opinion author and have convinced me beyond a reasonable doubt that secession is the most logical course of action. Now how exactly do we secede?”

Well, hold on now! Don’t get me wrong, it’s that kind of impulsive nature that I most admire about the Californian character, but at least give me a chance to give you further justification for leaving the Union before you go out and start singing “Hotel California” for your pledge of allegiance.

Not surprisingly, there are a multitude of reasons in support of secession. For one, Californian values are not shared among a vast group of people who reside within the United States. What California has is the perfect set of values for a progressive state. A diversity of opinions politically and socially, but a strong liberal majority — as is only proper. What has been made more than clear in this last election is that the attitude of the United States as a whole is aligning itself with radical ideals that abandon rational thinking. California should exit the Union as to not be associated with said values, as they are detrimental to California’s image in the eyes of more developed countries.

Another reason to secede is to protect our accepting immigration policy. With the president elect taking office, the policy of the United States of America will go from strict to authoritarian. We cannot allow our state to degrade into a dystopia where families are separated and forcibly removed from their homes. California is one of the most diverse states in the Union, and we should be proud of that.

Furthermore, we are not idiots. We recognize the economic advantage in having a liberal immigration policy. Immigrants built this country. And that’s not me being romantic —  according to University of California economist Gordon Hanson, immigrants — specifically high-skilled immigrants — are essential for innovation. Immigrants are more likely than native-born Americans to secure patents on new inventions or processes, and Hanson argues, immigrants can bring unique knowledge about foreign markets to American companies.

We are the golden state. The envy of all the fly-over paupers and East Coast inferiors, deserving of the privilege of being an independent country. 

Still unconvinced? The heart of the American spirit stands for principles built on empathy and logic.

Without those principles, our country would be reduced to chaos. Perhaps it’s already too late for the United States, but we can still save ourselves. Simply put, if you genuinely believe in these principles, then it is your duty as a citizen to fight to retain them. I personally cannot associate with a country that does not accept these principles, and as a result I see no better option than to raise the Great Grizzly above Old Glory from Los Angeles to Point Reyes. We are Californian. We like avocados, yoga, redwoods and relatively vague intervals of time signifying our arrival to brunch. We swear we’re totally accepting of all viewpoints and that we’ve never stepped foot inside a McDonald’s while there is an In N’ Out within an hour drive. Let us all join together as a culture and leave the Union that has betrayed us.

View Comments (1)