ASB prepares for dances, Valgrams, sports and more

The Associated Student Body’s (ASB) Quadglobe event last week was a preview of the potential of some of the upcoming events and activities being planned by ASB. Quadglobe featured a multitude of Paly student singers and performers on the quad at lunch every day of the week.

ASB announced Prom’s location at the Winter Rally last Tuesday: San Francisco City Hall. The date is set for April 14, and ASB President Jaiveer Sandhu said he expects this Prom to be unlike any previous Prom.

“We’re expecting to have record numbers as more and more students go to Prom,” Sandhu said.

Prom isn’t the only dance on the radar for Paly students. ASB is also looking into hosting a winter dance with Gunn High School. Nothing is set in stone yet, but collaborative efforts are being made. According to Sandhu, putting on another dance for underclassmen is a big reason for a winter dance.

“Especially for underclassmen who don’t have a lot of opportunities to go out to dances other than homecoming, this will be a great opportunity for them,” Sandhu said.

Dances aren’t the only thing ASB is anticipating, as ASB is planning on having the annual Valgrams tradition once again this year.

“The student body will have the opportunity to purchase these [Valgrams] along with toys that they can send to anyone,” Sandhu said.

Sandhu said he believes that Valgrams give students an opportunity to become closer with their peers, while having some fun.

“It’s been one of the more popular events that ASB hosts, and a lot of students really enjoy writing notes,” Sandhu said.

In addition, Teacher Appreciation Week is coming up soon. Last year ASB created a video in which teachers would read notes from students appreciating them.

Sandhu said he believes that Teacher Appreciation Week is one of the most vital events put on by ASB every year.

“Sometimes we’ll go through the motions and go through school so often that it’s nice to take a step back and appreciate everything that teachers do,” Sandhu said.

Sandhu stated that ASB most likely has some changes coming soon with the way ASB positions are structured, potentially creating more spaces for students.

“The District mandated us to add more positions, because our class had only 20 people before,” Sandhu said.

Official rules and regulations for ASB can be found in their constitution, which, according to Sandhu. hasn’t been reviewed or updated in quite some time.

“We have a constitution but the last time it was revised was 2011,” Sandhu said. “A lot of the amendments and by-laws are outdated. We’re looking at updating that this year.”

These changes will most likely include changes to the ASB positions available for next year’s aspiring ASB members, according to Sandhu.

ASB will also be rolling out a few new things for the sports diehards.

According to Sandhu, ASB will be coming out with Intramural tournaments, including basketball and volleyball.

ASB has unfortunately had some legal issues with the Palo Alto Unified School District in trying to implement these programs.

“We’re working with the District on supervision issues that come from having a 40 million dollar facility,” Sandhu said.

The annual Field Day celebration is also being planned for this spring. According to Sandhu, ASB plans on setting up the entire quad with different athletic activities and foods that both the entire student body and staff alike can enjoy.