Girls’ soccer anticipates CCS tournament

For the first time since the 2009-2010 season, the girls’ varsity soccer has made Central Coast Section (CCS) playoffs after winning their league (SCVAL) with a record of 10-0-1 and an ongoing overall record of 12-4-2.

“The coaches are very happy with the team’s progress, from our early struggles to where we are an accomplished and confident group,” assistant coach Eric Seedman said. “It has been lots of hard work for the girls, but they have stepped up to the task.”

The team has won all of its league games but one and has improved from last year, primarily on scoring. The team is also still working to improve its consistency in games which has been a goal since the beginning of the season.

“We need to improve upon our consistency,” Seedman said. “We also need to refine some details, like our set plays on both offense and on defense.”

The team is focusing on working hard an on fixing small details, which, totaling up, can play a large role in the outcome of a performance.

“Small details become the stuff of success when performed properly,” Seedman said. “Hopes for both the team and the coaches are high. We believe that if we can avoid injuries, illnesses and distractions that we are good enough to make a deep run into the playoffs.”

Since the beginning of the season, the team has been able to build a cohesive unit after playing together for a full season.

“It seems like we’ve figured each other out and hopefully we can potentially compete with the higher level teams in CCS,” senior Erin Chang said.

After having disappointing seasons in the past few years and moving to a lower division, the team is looking forward to playing once again in CCS.

“After limited success over the past two seasons, and recalling our history of great successes in previous seasons in the Paly girls soccer program, we are elated that the team has come back to good form this year,” Seedman said.