Paly’s first science fair to be held in April

The Paly Science Fair Club will be hosting Paly’s first ever science fair this April to showcase the scientific ideas and inventions of Paly students in the Peery Family Center.

Though the Science Fair Club is still in the process of figuring out the details for the event, they have determined that it will take place on April 22.

The club officers drew inspiration from Jordan Middle School’s popular science fair, which has been held for the past nine years.

“Within our planning committee, a few of us actually participated [at Jordan], so we were wondering why that wasn’t at Paly. We wanted to bring that positive experience here.”

Sophomore and club president Sonny Young

Students who are interested in participating in the science fair will be able to sign up online starting March 9, and can either participate individually or choose to collaborate in groups of two or three.

Young expressed trouble in spreading the word and getting students involved.

“Because it’s a first time thing, there’s not much awareness yet. However, right now we’re in the middle of reaching out to as many people as we can, whether it’s emailing clubs or contacting organizations.”

Sonny Young

The science fair is only intended to be a one-night event, but the organizers hope that it will be used as an opportunity for students to prepare for other national science fairs, such as the Google Science Fair, The Synopsys Science Fair and the Regeneron Science Talent Search.

As an added incentive for students, any participants of the Paly science fair will have the opportunity to win a prize or enter in a raffle.

Other STEM organizations are encouraged to participate by showcasing any projects or ideas on the day of the science fair.