Column: Tips to Combat Senioritis

As the year comes to a rapid close, those soon to graduate may have caught a case of senioritis, defined by Urban Dictionary as a “crippling disease… [featuring] a lack of studying, repeated absences and a generally dismissive attitude. The only known cure is a phenomenon known as Graduation.”

Senioritis has some distinguishing and unique symptoms, mostly prevalent in the graduating class, particularly laziness, apathy and the constant use of the phrase “I don’t think getting rescinded is a real thing. I’ll be fine.”

Outside of school, seniors can be seen putting minimal effort into their now-irrelevant extracurricular activities (Campy).

They are commonly seen leaving to “get something from their car” or “going to the doctors,” never to be seen again (until the next day). However, here are some tips to combat these.

[divider]Tip One: Early to bed, early to rise![/divider]

With a recommended eight to nine hours of sleep a night, sleeping early is the best way to get these hours (not from naps).

If possible, finish your homework, get your social media time in and clock out before 10:30 p.m. With a 10:30 p.m. bedtime comes an early morning, hopefully before 7:30 a.m.

We all know that nobody wants to be that student who is always coming in 15-20 minutes late to their first period class, or even worse, always missing that class altogether.

To alleviate this problem, wake up early to eat a healthy breakfast, pick a nice outfit for school and have plenty of time to arrive on time.

[divider]Tip Two: Get a job![/divider]

With your fully-fledged adulthood about to turn the corner, you’ll be out in the workforce attempting to secure a job within a few short years. There is simply no better way to prepare yourself for the “real world” than by actually getting a job.

While the high-profile white-collar jobs may not want an edgy 17-year-old teen with ripped jeans, a local retail chain would certainly be happy to take you in and give you that coveted paycheck.

Without having to pay for rent or food, you’ll be able to use that money on other “productive” assets — concerts, festivals, bubble tea and college hoodies.

With your own disposable income and valuable experience working for other people and cooperating with unrelenting customers, getting a job is the best way to keep you on your toes as senior year winds down.

[divider]Tip Three: Start preparing for the academics of college![/divider]

While some colleges may have massive grade inflation, others (especially the UC system) are known for their lack of significant grade curves.

For those currently struggling with AP classes, know that you’ll have to deal with 1000 and more other competitive students for that same job at Google, Goldman Sachs and Apple within a few years. Without beating the curve, you’ll be stuck at tip two for the remainder of your life.

With the pressure removed from grades, now is the best time to try and bolster those mental capabilities. Even more, you could always pick up a much-desired skill in the workforce such as art or philosophy (which we all know employers love).

Of course, senioritis varies from person; those with already good study habits can get by on minimal work. If you’re anything like me, unfortunately, you’re going to need some additional motivation to avoid colleges rescinding their offers. With these tips, and hopefully some additional determination to finish high school strong, I’ll look forward to seeing your name on The Campanile’s College Map.