Boys lacrosse dominates

T

he varsity boys lacrosse team is off to a promising start this season, despite losing many players to injuries.

“So far we have done pretty well,” said junior Ryan Strathearn. “We’ve had a lot of injuries and we have a very small team, but we’ve won a lot of games.”

The boy’s lacrosse team has won six games and lost four.

Though the team has had to play several times with the minimum amount of players due to injury, spring break has given them a an opportunity to heal and prepare for upcoming games.

Their biggest rivals consist of Los Gatos High School and Menlo Atherton High School, both of who they have upcoming games against.

While the Paly team has not played Los Gatos High School yet, they suffered a loss to Menlo Atherton with a score of 9-8 when three of their starters were out.

The last three championship games have been between Paly and Los Gatos, and are always extremely competitive.

“I am and the whole team is looking forward to playing Los Gatos, and Menlo Atherton again because we all felt like that was a game we should have won,” Strathearn said. “It will be exciting to see what we can do while [everyone is] healthy . . . and it’s always fun to play in competitive games.”

The varsity boys lacrosse team started off the season winning their first two games against Archbishop Mitty High School and Saratoga High School, an incredible way to set the tone for future games, according to Coach Daniel Shelton.

Part of the growing success can be attributed to new blood on the team.

“This is the youngest varsity team I have ever coached, along with being the smallest roster,” Shelton said. “However, pound for pound, they’re one of the most talented teams I’ve ever had. Because of their age, it’s more about getting them to gel as a unit and develop a team identity, rather than a group of talented individuals.”

The future of the team looks bright with young and constantly improving players. Co-captains Peter Gold and Benner Mullen have high hopes for the season.

“We have a lot to improve on, but I am certain we are the best in the league,” said Gold. “Our head coach DJ Shelton has done a great job and creating a very competitive, and focused environment to succeed in. There is no reason why we shouldn’t win the league championship.”

Currently, the varsity boys lacrosse team has a record of 4-1 in their league, and is 2nd in the SCVAL, and JV is 4-5.