Library scheduled for renovations starting in 2014

The library is scheduled to undergo renovations that will expand the size of the library by at least 20 percent. Construction is set to begin in June 2014 and is predicted to finish August 2015. Librarians Rachel Kellerman and Deborah Henry have been working with an architect on the design.The updated design will be two stories and have a new floor plan, in order to better utilize the existing space and provide a more welcoming The first floor of the library will contain a reading space for students, study areas, computer labs, the Student Activities Office (SAO) and new bathrooms that have entrances connected to the quad. There will also be rooms where students can meet to work and discuss projects or class work with other students. The second floor of the library would consist of archives and a conference room.

“We’re going to have a mezzanine that has our archive collection of our yearbooks,” Kellerman said.

During construction the library will be relocated to the 300 building, which currently houses the Social Studies department. By that time the Social Studies department will have already moved into the new building that is currently being built for them.

In addition to more student work areas, the proposed library will have rooms for the College and Career Center. The administration and Guidance Office staff will also have offices in the complex. The Associated Student Body (ASB) will continue to have space in the library.

“The idea is to bring the student services like counseling and guidance down here where the students are.” are,” Kellerman said.