Boys lacrosse secures league title once again

After a rocky start to the season, the boys lacrosse team won its second league win in a row.

In the beginning, the team had a difficult time transitioning from winter to spring season due to an unusually large number of injuries.

“We were suffering [from] a lot of injuries this season. It was really tough during the season because lots of players were still in winter sports, and a lot of them were also injured. We didn’t have any subs for a while and many of [the other players] were playing the whole game. We got tired later in the games which caused some issues.”

Ryan Strathern, junior

But in spite of these hardships, the team persevered and ultimately ended up climbing to the top of the league rankings this season.

During the final game against Los Gatos High School, the boys came in extremely confident given their progress from hard work during practice.

“We came into the game pretty confident having beat [Los] Gatos already,” junior Cole Sotnick said. “They also had their best player, number two out. I’m obviously not hoping for other players failures but we were pretty excited about that.” 

As Sotnick predicted, the Vikes handily swept that game.

“We were pumped up because we had the upper hand,” Sotnick said. “First couple minutes of the game we had an early lead and we took control [of the game] right off the bat. We had a lot of help from a lot of our seniors like Peter [Gold] and Benner [Mullin] and they definitely stepped up to the task. Our defense during the game was locked in and all sophomores and juniors stepped up as well.”

Luckily, transitioning to next year should be easy since most of the team is returning.

“We’re only graduating four seniors, and three of them are starters, so next season we’ll have a lot of returning players. We have a good team established, and we hope to win league again next season.”

Ryan Strathern, junior

Looking forward, the team is optimistic given its solid record this season and hopes to recapture the league title again next year. 

“We don’t have a lot of seniors on the team,” junior Wes Walters said. “We’re a pretty young team, and so I think we’ll be able to do pretty well the next couple of years. We have a lot of sophomores on the team which is good for the future.”