ASB Update

ASB Update

Starting in just two days, on  Oct. 22, Spirit Week will continue with the typical dress up days and lunchtime rallies.

“[All of the] ASB members are hard at work preparing for the upcoming Spirit Week,” junior class President Zoe Silver said. “Dance practices are underway, there is high participation throughout the grades with a lot of the grades having maybe 75 to 100 people per grade.”

Along with the spirit dances coming along, many grades have started putting together for their floats.

“The float designs are coming along,” Silver said. “This year PTSA is sponsoring new float bases for every grade. We are going to assembling them because they have gotten so gross after so many years of use.”

The new floats will include a new frame and will have more wheels for more mobility. Along with the addition of the new frame, ASB has revised the grading rubrics that score the floats, thanks to a push from senior class President David Foster.

“The rubric [to score the floats] that we’ve been using for a long time has been one third [of the points] for stuffing, one third for creativity, and one third for incorporation for theme,” Foster said.

Foster explains his dissatisfaction with the rubric and the steps made to implement change.

“[The rubric is] kind of boring and it has no points for how good the float looks, so I really wanted to change that because I think a lot of work goes into making the float look nice, and it’s sad that the judges can’t grade on that. I worked with the other class officers and I developed a new rubric that has points for aesthetics, execution and complexity.”

Senior Class President David Foster

Aside from the new addition to the floats, ASB also has plans to add new elements to the homecoming dance.

“Homecoming is going to be super fun,” Foster said.  “We’re putting more resources into getting better food for homecoming that is more allergy conscious and better [quality]. [The food] will [match] the extravagant roaring ‘20s theme.”

Aside from Spirit Week preparations, ASB is also preparing other activities and programs that will be set into action in the near future.

“This year ASB will be sponsoring, as a student body, the movement Set the Expectation,” Silver said. “Set the Expectation is a program that is trying to combat sexual assault and you can look out for more details in the upcoming weeks.”

ASB will hold various activities and events on campus throughout the week as a part of the program.

“We’re tying in the Set the Expectation program with Spirit Week for more publicity, and it’s not a high pressure thing.” Foster said. “We’re all having fun, and we all want to be a part of this pledge to beat sexual assault and to raise awareness for it so that we can support those who have experienced it.”