First in league, girls golf stays undefeated

The girls varsity golf team remains undefeated as the team prepares for the Central Coast Section (CCS) competition. According to Coach Doyle Knight, the team is developing from last year and are looking to defeat their two main local competitors Valley Christian High School and Harker High School in order to maintain their perfect record.

During the week of Oct. 8, the team had two victories, both against Saratoga High School. The first game had a score of 198-214, the second, 191-236.

After being CCS champions last season, the team has a goal of making it further in more advanced competitions.

“The first goal was to win our league tournament and championship,” Knight said. “Our second goal was to do well enough at CCS to qualify for the NorCal tournament. Hopefully while playing the CCS Tournament, we would win that title also. We were CCS champions last year, so it would be nice to defend our title.”

“We are undefeated and practicing a lot to get ready for leagues, CCS, NorCals and hopefully States.”

Sophomore Lauren Sung

If the team makes it through the CCS competition, Knight hopes the team will be successful in the NorCal tournament, which may be the most difficult event.

“There are several schools from the Sacramento area and in the East Bay area that are really good,” Knight said. “The girls are looking forward to the challenge.”

The team has also changed considerably from last year. According to Knight, this year, they have more experienced athletes and are hoping to see a player be honored with the individual trophy of CCS champion.

“There are several schools from the Sacramento area and in the East Bay Area that are really good, but the girls are looking forward to the challenge.”

Doyle Knight

“As far as how our team is different than last year, we have eight solid players,” Knight said. “Any one of them could be the league champion and possibly the CCS champion. Out of the eight, I have to choose six to represent our school in the league tournament, CCS tournament, the NorCal tournament and state tournament. Right now, Katherine Sung is our number one golfer.”

Freshmen Lauren and Sydney Sung, sisters of team captain Katherine Sung, enjoy the team dynamic and high level of playing.

“There was pressure at the beginning to perform well for the team, but once the nerves were of the way, we started playing better and it seemed like we were playing together as a team,” Sung said.

Speaking about the team’s ongoing success, Lauren Sung said the season is going well so far.

“We are undefeated and practicing a lot to get ready for leagues, CCS, NorCals and hopefully States,” Lauren Sung said.

The team will play next in the SCVAL tournament on Oct. 24.