Focused and determined, senior Siena Brewster and junior Amelia Gibbs  block an opponent’s spike.
Focused and determined, senior Siena Brewster and junior Amelia Gibbs block an opponent’s spike.

Girls volleyball begins to prepare for CCS following first loss of season

With league shortly coming to an end and the Central Coast Section (CCS) finals approaching soon, the Paly  girls volleyball team continues to work towards its many  goals.

The team lost its first match against Los Altos on Oct. 9, but still remain top of their league with a total of nine wins and one loss.

Its next game will be against Lynbrook on Oct. 18, and is the second to last league game of the season.

“The team’s main goal is to get better every day. At this point of the season, it’s not just about getting better for CCS playoffs. It’s about getting better for their upcoming club teams and the future seasons to come.”

Benji Saetang

At both practices and games, the girls put in their maximum effort, according to senior captain, Ashlyn Callan.

“We’re still training hard; lifting [weights] either once or twice a week,” Callan said. “It’s interesting for me to see because our team is so young this year, so compared to previous years we’re staying much more motivated.”

The final girls volleyball tournament match of the season will take place on Oct. 20 against Independence High School in San Jose. Following this is the last league game of the season on Oct. 23 against Homestead High School.

If the team continues its hard work  the next couple of weeks, competing in the CCS playoffs is feasible, according to head coach Benji Saetang.

“For the record that we currently have, I believe we will be in the Open Division (top level) of CCS playoffs,” Saetang said. “You never know what will happen. Expect the unexpected and prepare for the best outcome.”

Sophomore, Kylie Mies is excited for playoffs to begin because of the new factors that come with it.

“League can get a little monotonous at times because we play the same teams and lose our spirit,” Mies said. “New teams are so exciting. The whole team is putting a lot of effort in improving, so if we continue to work hard, I think we will do well in CCS.”

Although participating and performing their best in the playoffs is a main goal of the team, Coach Saetang is more focused on the players general improvement of skills.

“The team’s main goal is to get better every day,” Saetang said. “At this point of the season, it’s not just about getting better for CCS playoffs. It’s about getting better for their upcoming club teams and the future seasons to come.”

“It’s interesting for me to see because our team is so young this year, so compared to previous years we’re staying much

more motivated.”

Senior Ashlyn Callan

Mies also supports the idea of working for goals far beyond playoffs, explaining the importance of a team connection.

Mies said, “I think our main goal as a team is to connect with each other. We are all here because we want to represent our school and have fun.”