Baseball gets off to hot start, wins 10 in a row

Paly Baseball has gotten off to a hot start, riding a 10 game winning streak following two losses to start the season. The team is now tied for first place in the De Anza League standings.

Sophomore Matthew Caren spoke about the team’s rebound following two back-to-back  losses to start the season.

“We’re a growing team with some great veteran leaders and a lot of young players,” said Caren. “I think it’s natural that we experience some growing pains, but we’ve really come together in the last few weeks, and I think we’re only going to continue to get better from here.”  Caren also spoke about how the team would overcome any challenges they may face the future.

“I think it’s inevitable that every team will face its own challenges but we have a strong and resilient group so I’m confident we’ll find a way to overcome whatever adversity we’ll experience.”

Matthew Caren

Paly has boasted some impressive wins so far, such as  a 1-0 victory over Sacred Heart Prep and a 6-3 win against crosstown rival Gunn on Mar. 16.

Sophomore Stephen Lee says  he is looking forward to playing Los Gatos on Mar. 27 -29, stating  that “there’s a lot of bad blood between these schools.”

Paly has not played too many tough games so far this year, with all but one of their first 10 games having a score difference of at least 2 runs.

Caren spoke about how the team overcame their two consecutive losses to begin the season.

“At the beginning of the season, we went through a couple rough games while we were still figuring out our identity as a team” Caren said. “We picked up a couple losses along the way, but after that we really found who we are as a team, and that shows in our record.”

Caren said trust leads to success.

“I think the key is trust,” Caren said. “Trusting the team, trusting yourself, trusting the process. If we can have trust, we’ll be successful.”