ASB holds Quadside Lands, plans Spirit Week activities

With Spirit Week right around the corner, September is a busy month for ASB. Events like Quadside Lands, which happened from Sept. 18-20, as they have finally been settling into the school year.

“I got to plan Quadside Lands this year, and during my entire ASB career, freshman, sophomore and junior year, I have always wanted to plan a Quadcert,” said junior class president Avantika Singh, referring to a concert that takes place on the quad.

In preparation for Spirit Week, the juniors were first to finalize their theme, followed by the seniors and sophomores. The freshman are still choosing their theme. Spirit Week deadlines, such as choosing class T-shirts, are coming up near the end of September and October.

Singh talks about the work she’s doing with the junior class vice-president Chris Chen.

“Chris and I knew that starting the beginning of the school year, we would have to be doing things in preparation for Spirit Week,” Singh said. “So in end of July, we made a calendar with all our personal Spirit Week deadlines so we can be sure to have everything. If we follow the calendar, we end up making the week less stressful for ourselves. So far we have been following our schedule. We are actually ahead in our schedule.”

Beginning on Sept. 13, ASB members were assigned to committees for activities later in the year. The committees this year are working on are things like class bonding and fundraisers, anti-juul campaign, ASB fishbowl, ice cream social, tea with teachers, ASB vlog and the advisory curriculum.

As for the planning of Spirit Week, according to Junior Spirit commissioner Emma Lin, ASB is planning enjoyable activities.

“We’ve started finalizing games and rules for the lunch time rallies,” Lin said. “Paige Knoblock and I worked really hard to try and get the Night Rally or a blackout advisory rally on the schedule, but due to past student behavior at both events, it wasn’t possible.”

Lin said she hopes students will improve their sportsmanship so that future students could have those opportunities.

Senior vice-president Teddy Butler have been also helping to the participation of the preparation of spirit week.

“I’m mostly part of the senior portion of spirit week,” Butler said. “We’ve already chosen our theme, and we’re getting all the other affairs in order. Also … we’re trying to figure out how to get the underclassmen the most enthusiastic and dressed up they can be.”