Girls tennis excites with league placement

There is no denying that in order for a team to be successful there must be a sufficient amount of chemistry, something the Paly girls tennis team struggled very little with. 

The team finished its league and placed third. It is now off to the CCS playoffs and hopes to come out on top. 

Junior co-captain Rachel Owens said she was proud of her team’s ability to clinch third place in the league since the competition is so tough.

“Our league is the best in California, and all the teams we played were highly competitive,” Owens said. “Although we should have won some nail-biter matches, the whole team played astoundingly.” 

Last week the team played long-standing rivals Cupertino but lost 5-2. The team also played Mountain View High School on Oct. 24 and defeated them 6-1. 

Co-captain sophomore Kamila Wong said this season’s league placement to the close matches that the team should have won.

“We lost to Los Gatos twice, and lost once to every other team besides Mountain View, who we beat twice, some of which we could have won. Overall a pretty successful season,” Wong said.

As for CCS, Owens said she is optimistic the team will do well. 

“We are a great team, so I believe if we can be placed at a good seed and get a good draw then we will have a great chance of doing well,” Owens said.

The team’s excitement for CCS is looming as the underclassmen prepare to say goodbye to their senior teammates.

“Losing seniors will be hard for the whole team because they play a crucial role in team morale and our overall success,” Wong said.

Junior Myra Xu said she feels especially affected by the soon-to-be absence of the seniors.

Xu said, “We are going to miss them a ton. They are some of the most supporting teammates I’ve ever had, and it’s going to be hard not having them with us next year.”