Girls field hockey exceeds expectations

Girls field hockey exceeds expectations

While the field hockey team hoped to end the season on a high note, it lost to Homestead 1-0  instead on Oct. 31. But the team had already exceeded expectations with its first winning season.

“Our team was extremely successful and exceeded expectations, especially for it being our second season,” sophomore Phoebe Kim said. “We went 8-6-3, which is a huge improvement from last year when we only had two wins.”

Kim credits the improvements to the experience the team has gained through the past two seasons.

“Besides the new freshman, we all had a year of experience under our belts which helped us a lot this season,” Kim said. 

Coach Jennifer Crane mentioned that the team focused on off the field bonding this season.

“The main focus for the team this season was working together as a team and building a positive culture of class and character,” Crane said. “I think one of the most important foundational pieces in being an athlete is developing positive characteristics that will support growth of healthy relationships and life skills off the field.” 

According to Crane, a constant challenge for the team was that it has had to deal with a lack of experience among most of the players.

“I still consider our team to be a JV team since we only have girls with 1 or 2 years of experience and they are competing with long time running Varsity programs,” Crane said.

Kim said the team was faced with a major setback midway through the season, but credits Coach Jennifer Crane for propelling them through the setback.

“Despite getting all of our expensive field hockey equipment stolen, we overcame adversity, and still performed to the best of our abilities,” Kim said. “We couldn’t have done it without our amazing coach Jenny.”

Senior Jessie Arons is proud of how far the team has come in the past two years. Arons said last season most of the players were new to the sport, but that was not the case this season.

“Last year practically everyone was new to the sport, but this year we got to hone our skills, and we improved so much,” Arons said. “I am really proud of how far we’ve come.”