People of Paly: Carl Hubenthal

People of Paly: Carl Hubenthal

Although students might know Carl Hubenthal as the guy on the bike,” there’s more to him than that. Hubenthal has been a Campus Supervisor for seven years ever since a friend of his asked him to cover a couple of his shifts one day.
“I said I’d give it a shot, and I’ve been here ever since then,” Hubenthal said. He said he is responsible for ensuring the campus is secure and under control.
“I’m here to make sure we don’t get off-campus people coming on during school hours, that we don’t have people getting into fights and that we try to get people to class on time,” Hubenthal said. “I also help with any kind of medical and police issues.”
But Hubenthal hasn’t always been a campus supervisor. Before getting a job at Paly, Hubenthal said he worked in the entertainment industry.
“I used to do voice overs for cartoons and commercials,” Hubenthal said. “I did Shakespeare acting in college, and then I got an agent up in the city and did mostly voices for video games.”
Hubenthal said he went on to work as a general contractor until he had to stop because of health concerns.
“I had some mysterious health problems and went through a period of about six years not knowing what was wrong.” Hubenthal said. “I ended up staying home. I couldn’t physically do (my) job, and I was sort of like a house-husband. I was with the kids doing all the cleaning and cooking and baking.”
Hubenthal said his life motto is taken from his favorite childhood cartoon.
“I like the Bugs Bunny motto from when I was a kid: ‘Don’t take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive,’” Hubenthal said. “It can be a little dark, but it’s reminding you that you might as well have a little bit of fun and not take things so seriously.”