Students, staff reflect on rising Town and Country prices

R ecently, students have started to face a predicament. With Gov. Gavin Newsom’s universal school meal program offering free meals and with what many say are rising food prices at Town and Country, how do people find an affordable, healthy, tasty lunch? Students and staff had a lot to say on this issue, and here is a representative sample of their responses.

I remember when (Village) Cheese House was $1 for bread and then $1 for dip. But now (Village) Cheese House is closed, so I don’t have anywhere to go.” – Diego Diaz (‘22)

“I used to be buying food from Town and Country every day. But because of the price increases in a lot of these shops, I’ve been having to bring lunch from home a couple of days a week, which takes time to prepare in the morning so I have to wake up earlier.” – Nikhil Majeti (‘22)

“I guess it’s just caused me to not get as much or I just don’t get lunch entirely. I think the having to wait in line for (cafeteria) food that isn’t really the best – but also isn’t the worst – just isn’t worth the time.” – Isaiah Wotring (‘24)

“I would say that I actually buy lunch more this year because I don’t have as much time to make it, but I am definitely aware of how much money I spend on lunch this year.” – Grace Corrigan (‘23)

“If the prices are a little bit higher, we’re still going to go because it’s not our daily habit. When we go to a special occasion, we’re willing to pay more for Gotts Burgers, or go get Asian Box. It’s an inelastic demand.” – Debbie Whitson, teacher