Art in Unusual Places celebrates VAPA student work, performances

Photo by Cayden Gu

As an opportunity for students in Visual and Performing Arts classes to showcase their work, the VAPA department celebrated Arts in Unusual Places during the week of Jan. 30. This annual event results in student work appearing in unexpected places all around campus.

“We put up art on the pillars of many Paly buildings that was based on the work of Henri Matisse — what he called his ‘cut-outs,’” AP Art History and Art Spectrum teacher Sue La Fetra said.

Across campus, drawings and paintings of all sorts popped up. Some depicted everyday objects, such as a cup. Others depicted more abstract things. One student attached a small picture of someone’s face to a rain gutter.

Tracey Atkinson teaches Advanced Painting and Drawing, Digital Art Spectrum and Art Spectrum. Atkinson said all of her classes put their best pieces up around campus.

“My advanced class created chalk drawings in the Paly Alley next to the Haymarket to brighten the outdoors as people walked by.” Atkinson said.

Concert choir performed songs near the music building on Tuesday, while the orchestra performed songs in the upper floor of the library under the guidance of teacher and conductor Jeffrey Willner.

“How many times have you seen people play in the library?” Willner said. “Exactly.”

The band played “Green and White” during the winter rally on Feb. 1. 

Kenna Gallagher’s photography classes stacked sticks in circular formations near the football field, following the style of sculptor Andy Goldsworthy. The tallest stacks were around two feet tall, with the shortest ones measuring a few inches.

La Fetra said, “(Arts in Unusual Places) is about highlighting the art all around us, and the fantastic opportunities for Paly students to participate in making art.”