Art by Rachel Lee
Art by Rachel Lee

Spending time with pets helps provide psychological boosts

In the event of a house fire, people may or may not find enough time to grab a couple of valuable items before they evacuate. It might be a framed photo, stuffed animal or even a wallet. However, many pet owners’ first thought might be to swoop their furry friend out of the burning building.

Humans have often instinctually bonded with animals, and as more animals have become domesticated, owning a pet has increased in popularity. With this, a pet’s importance can often be overlooked and underappreciated.

Senior Catie Nudelman said the simple presence of her dog, Boomer, has had a significant positive impact on her life.

“Boomer cheers me up by just being so adorable and so loving and always being excited to do anything whether that’s going on a hike, going to the beach, or just getting ready to eat dinner,” Nudelman said. “He is genuinely so happy every day, and it has definitely brightened my days.”

“Waking up to him and coming home (to him) every day brings me happiness,” Nudelman said. “Having a dog does decrease my stress because they’re just such carefree, loving animals that definitely bring a lot of joy to the environment.”

Nudelman also noticed that Boomer has helped her family get together more often and have something to bond over.

“I think my mom and I got a lot closer when we got a dog because we were able to bond over how much we love him,” Nudelman said. “We are able to get out more and go on walks with him, which feels great.”

Nudelman said having Boomer, who is a rescue dog, has had its obstacles, but she is glad she is able to provide him with a loving home.

“I didn’t grow up with him, but having a rescue dog has definitely taught me how to deal with dogs that come from different homes,” Nudelman said. “But, I know that we’re giving him a forever home, which feels great.”

Senior Jia Hiremath, who has provided temporary homes for many foster puppies, said she also noticed friends and family coming together more often when she fostered a litter of puppies for two months.

“All my friends wanted to see them, and they were so fun and energetic,” Hiremath said. “The litter of puppies brought smiles to everyone’s faces when they saw them. They were always super happy and they made everyone else really happy, too.”

Johanna Ehrlich, Paly parent and member of Pet Partners, a pet therapy organization, brings dogs to Paly’s campus every week to help students relax and alleviate stress. She said she enjoys watching students interact with the dogs.

“The reason I come is for the reactions of the kids,” Ehrlich said. “Everyone just relaxes, and whatever was on their mind just disappears and they are able to completely de-stress. Even just petting the dog is really therapeutic, and it helps get their mind off their stress, especially during or before exams.”

Nudelman agrees and said she has noticed Boomer helping her reduce stress and is always around to cheer her up. She said Boomer is an amazing friend and constant companion throughout her days.

“Waking up to him and coming home (to him) every day brings me happiness,” Nudelman said. “Having a dog does decrease my stress because they’re just such carefree, loving animals that definitely bring a lot of joy to the overall environment.”