Football defeats Fremont 28-10 in season opener

Photo by Tyler Wong
Photo by Tyler Wong

Football sets high expectations for upcoming year following 28-10 season opener win against Fremont on Aug. 25, assistant coach Malcolm Davis said.

Senior and wide receiver Jason Auzenne said he started the game with high energy, scoring a touchdown in the first quarter and a second later on. He also said the first touchdown was not a planned play.

“I just told (senior and quarterback Declan Packer) I’m running (an out route),” Auzenne said. “He said if I’m throwing that ball, you gotta catch it — and I caught it.”

Assistant coach Malcolm Davis said although the team saw a dip in energy halfway through the game, they pushed through and finished strong.

“We started off hot and then we kind of fell off at halftime but it came out really well,” Davis said. “We handled what we needed to do when we first got on the field and out scored on all three drives.”

Junior and wide receiver Jeremiah Fung, who scored a touchdown, said the win was supported by the electric atmosphere and school spirit.

“We had all the students here including the band, cheer and dance teams,” Fung said. “All the families came out and we had a great game.”

Davis said he was pleased with the team’s effort and looks forward to the rest of the season.

“We’re looking forward to next week, but it’s going to be tougher with Leland,” Davis said. “We’re feeling confident right now.”

The team will play its next game away at Leland High School on Friday, Sept. 1 at 7:15 p.m.