Review: The (not so) Really Good Podcast

Art by Dorian Luo

The Really Good Podcast, hosted by social media influencer Bobbi Althoff, has amassed a huge following since its launch in April. The podcast, which went viral on TikTok and Youtube was featured on the “Today” show. In the span of just five months, it has gained nearly 30 million total views on her YouTube channel. Intrigued by people’s fascination with Althoff ’s podcast, I embarked on a journey to discover what her podcast truly is about.

Unfortunately, “The Really Good Podcast” doesn’t quite live up to its name. While it takes a unique approach to podcasting by presenting unscripted, casual conversations with well-known people, the content itself is boring. The episodes also lack direction and a central theme, probably because they only consist of small talk. The podcast fails to deliver anything substantial or thought provoking. Instead, it provides a glimpse into how celebrities behave in casual settings, which may seem intriguing to some but ultimately failed to engage me.

Despite being new to the podcasting scene, Althoff has managed to land interviews with A-List celebrities including Lil Yachty, Mark Cuban and Drake, who helped the podcast attract many new listeners.

Althoff ’s signature interview style, characterized by her unconventionally dry humor, has led to painfully awkward yet amusing episodes. I first watched an episode featuring renowned businessman and “shark” Mark Cuban on YouTube. In the confines of a warehouse, Althoff and Cuban sat on the floor, engaging in what can only be described as a conversation about nothing substantial. The key takeaways? Cuban is wealthy (shocker), and both Althoff and Cuban have lactose intolerance and enjoy shopping at Target.

Due to the lack of direction and narrative of the conversation, I couldn’t get through the hour. It
seemed like Althoff was winging it, which made it difficult for me to stay engaged.

Next, I turned to the episode featuring Drake, which has over 9 million views. In the one-hour interview conducted in an unusual setting, a bed, Althoff maintained a quiet and somewhat unimpressed tone. There was not much substance to the conversation. It lacked depth, and Althoff seemed unenthusiastic throughout the episode.

A good podcast is not about how famous your guests are; it’s about delivering meaningful content that leaves a lasting impression on your listeners. “The Really Good Podcast” may attract attention with its celebrity guests and have its humorous moments, but it’s far from the masterpiece its name implies.

If you’re looking for a podcast that keeps you engaged and entertained or provides valuable insight, “The Really Good Podcast” should not be next on your list.

View Comments (1)
$0
$500

$0
$500

• P

PeterNov 20, 2023 at 1:45 pm

I think you are missing the point. Its probably not meant for viewers of your age group or for anybody under time pressure.

Reply