Boys water polo sets sights on CCS after successfull game against Fremont

Tyler Wong
Senior and co-captain Grant Jauregui gets ready to throw the ball to his teammate for a chance to score. “We always have to take one step at a time, but I feel really good about (CCS),” Coach Bob Greene said.

Boys water polo successfully defeated Fremont for a 17-6 win on Oct 5.

Coach Bob Greene said the goalies were key contributors to the team’s win.

“Senior Jack Reed had eight blocks, and Junior Paul Schacht had six,” Greene said. “Our goalies did a really fantastic job.”

In addition to the team’s defense, Greene said its offense also performed well, led by senior co-captain Grant Jauregui and Sophomore Jack Spitzer, who both scored 5 goals. 

“Grant scored five goals and our new guy sophomore Jack Spitzer also scored five,” Greene said. “Grant, Jack and Rome really led the team in the offense.”

Greene said that while both offense and defense performed well, the win should be attributed to a collective team effort.

“Every single athlete got to play at least a quarter which was great,” Greene said. “It was all a team effort.”

Senior and co-captain Brian Stewart said the game was an easy victory, and that  it established fundamentals for the rest of the season.

Greene also said the team needs to improve their offense by implementing more unique strategies.

“As you meet these teams two to three times in a season, if you don’t change up the offense and whatnot to get creative, then your (strategies will be) predictable,” Greene said.

Greene said although the season is going well so far, the team still needs to put in more work.

“We always have to take one step at a time, but I feel really good about (CCS),” Greene said. “We’re ahead of where we were last year at this time, but we want to work really hard so we can get a high seat and CCS.”