Wrestling prepares for State Championships after strong finish to the season

Gavin Lin/The Campanile

After placing third overall at CCS on Feb. 18, freshman Brian Miller Jr., sophomore James Otuhiva and senior EJ Rudolph-Harris are moving on to compete in the State Championships for wrestling.

Wrestling coach Jonathan Kessler said the performance was a historical win for the Paly wrestling team.

“We finished third overall in team scores,” Kessler said. “Just behind Gilroy and Los Gatos, and that’s our highest placing in our program’s history.”

The third place finish included the efforts of the three state qualifiers.

Rudolph-Harris said he is proud of his teammates Miller and Otuhiva for qualifying as underclassmen.

“I’m incredibly proud of James and Brian,” Rudolph-Harris said. “James is the first sophomore and Brian is the first freshman ever to qualify (for states).”

Miller said he encountered challenging opponents at CCS, but he was able to work through the matches.

“I started out the gate with two really hard matches and from there, I just kept the ball rolling and kept working hard,” Miller said. 

Despite the obstacles, Miller said he appreciates all of the support he has received from the team after qualifying.

“I really appreciate how the coaches and everybody has been making me feel good about (qualifying),” Miller said. “My dad, especially every time we’re in the car and we’re talking about wrestling, is always saying how crazy it is that I made it.”

Miller also said support from his family helped him succeed.

“I started out with some success, placing in every tournament, having my family behind me the whole way,” Miller said. “My whole family is really supportive of the wrestling and I think the biggest part of that is just having a good support system.”

Rudolph-Harris also said he couldn’t have qualified without the team’s support.

“I wouldn’t have accomplished this goal without my teammates like Nick Quiroz,” Rudolph-Harris said.  “He didn’t make it, but I wouldn’t be here without him. He’s my drill partner and one of my closest friends –– he’s supported me all the way.”