Plans for future school events begin

As the fourth quarter begins, Palo Alto High School’s Associated Student Body (ASB) plans and prepares for ASB Elections, Day of Silence, Prom and Not In Our Schools Week.

ASB elections are taking place this week for all elected positions. Polls went live online on March 26 at 7:30 a.m. and close today on March 28 at 3:30 p.m. Any students who are interested in appointed commissioner positions can pick up packets after Spring Break.

The Day of Silence is planned for April 11. The purpose of this day is to raise awareness for people in the community who feel silenced by defining characteristics, such as sexual orientation, race and class. This is an opportunity for anyone to feel the silence that those students feel every day and at the end of the day, everyone who participated will come together and scream as a symbol of breaking the silence.

This year, Prom is scheduled to be held at the Exploratorium in San Francisco from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m. Currently, Prom tickets are $120 with an ASB card and $130 without a card, and all guest passes are $130. Bus sign-ups are online and are accessible through the Paly Webstore.

ASB is also planning Not In Our Schools Week which will take place from April 21 to April 25 in collaboration with Henry M. Gunn High School. The theme for this years week is “Hear Our Voices,” which places emphasis on those in the community who feel silenced or suppressed due to their defining characteristics. Not In Our Schools Week is essentially a week-long event with each day focusing on a different social issue facing Palo Alto.

“By the end of the week, we hope to have a more united student body that is more compassionate and aware,” said Maya Ben-Efraim, ASB’s Spirit Commissioner.

Service Day is scheduled to be on the Thursday of Not In Our Schools Week. All students will have the opportunity to volunteer events on and off campus.

On the final night of Not In Our Schools Week, Friday-Night Everytown is set to take place, which is essentially an abridged version of Camp Everytown.