Boys tennis defeats Cupertino High School

Tennis team’s record improves to 8-3

The boys tennis team is faring well as it continues further through their season. Victories in tournaments and matches against other schools have increased the team’s morale and provided motivation for further successes.

“When sophomore Shiv Matta clinched our match against Mount Tamalpais in the consolation finals in the Fresno tournament, it was one of the most victorious moments of this season so far,” senior Niall Patrick said. “It was really exciting; everyone was pretty pumped up and it definitely brought us together more as a team.”

However, the team has also had its losses along the way.

“The most disappointing moment would have to be when we came so close to Monta Vista High School, but lost to them in the first round of the Fresno tournament,” Patrick said.

According to Matta, the boys tennis team suffered its most disappointing loss  of 6-1 against Saratoga due to its team members beating Paly’s boys in its respective spots.

At their next match against Cupertino, the boys tennis team won, 4-3. JV player sophomore Joseph Kao, along with his teammates were credited for winning the last match, which allowed for Paly to win.

“The team is doing really well with an 8-3 standing overall,” Patrick said. “We need to take the season each match at a time and not get ahead of ourselves. I like to think that every match should be played like it’s our last.”

Currently, the team is preparing for its next competition against Henry M. Gunn High School on April 8.