ASB announces “I Left My Heart in San Francisco” this year’s prom theme

ASB prepares for prom and student elections for the officers of 2015-16

Palo Alto High School’s Associated Student Body (ASB) has received positive feedback on past events and also released details surrounding prom and ASB elections.

At the Sadie Hawkins dance on Feb. 20, ASB announced this year’s prom theme — “I Left My Heart in San Francisco.” Prom will be held on April 18 at San Francisco City Hall, where entertainment such as photo booths, caricaturists and DJ Hightop will be provided. An international tasting menu dinner will be served hors d’oeuvre style.

“With the theme ‘I Left My Heart in San Francisco we really wanted to capture the elegance that the event will [have],” junior class president William Zhou said. “The venue, San Francisco City Hall, is amazing and we think that students will have a memorable night that they’ll never forget.”

Prom tickets will be available for purchase on March 9 on the Paly Webstore at an early bird price. From March 9 to March 22, tickets will cost $110 for ASB cardholders and $120 for non-ASB cardholders. From March 23 to April 10, tickets will cost $120 for ASB cardholders and $130 for non-ASB cardholders.

ASB has also released application packets for elected officials and applications will be due March 11. Certain new campaign rules have been implemented that restrict the campaign budget to $20 rather than the previous $40 and require all ASB members to attend Camp Everytown.

The Sadie’s dance was the first in three years and was a success, having a larger crowd and better quality than last year’s winter masquerade dance.

The student forum, hosted in the Media Arts Center on Feb. 26, was also a success. ASB encouraged students to voice their “concerns, criticism or constructive feedback related to homework load and stress.” Principal Kim Diorio, Superintendent Max McGee, a Henry M. Gunn High School ASB Student Executive Council president, administration and teachers all attended the event to listen to student feedback. The forum helped bridge the gap between student and teachers and allowed for better communication between the two.  ASB has taken further steps to receive more feedback from the greater student body by implementing a suggestions box and online google form which will extend the Advice for ASB campaign.

“This year, ASB has been using a lot of surveys, and we wanted to continue working on and find new ways to hear what the rest of the school thinks,” Zhou said.