Girls golf earns first victory

Team has high hopes for underclassmen

On Sept. 3, the girls golf team took its first victory against Homestead High School with a score of 217-265 as it looks forward to a promising season. The girls team has always been strong, winning the Central Coast Section (CCS) title in 2013 and taking fourth place last year, but coach Doyle Knight expects a long and difficult journey ahead for the team.

“This year will be extremely tough,” Knight said. “We lost the top player in CCS, Michelle Xie, who went off to college, so the younger girls have a lot of strokes to make up this year.”

There are no seniors on the team this year and only a few new freshman, which can drastically change the team dynamic. Looking forward to the future, junior captain Emily Hwang can see that the new roster for the team can be seen as a serious threat.

“We have some new girls that have potential,” Hwang said. “Stephanie Yu, Elise Kiya and Candace Wang are some of our best players and should be the ones to watch out for.”

Hwang is confident in the team’s performance in future matches after a victory against Homestead.

“Our team is looking pretty good,” Hwang said. “The win helped us as a team, but at the same time we’re playing a course much harder than the one last week. We don’t have any seniors on the team, and we lost our number one player from last year.”

Knight has high hopes for the underclassmen to help carry the team.

“We have a freshman, Jasmine Choi, who looks promising,” Knight said. “I’m anxious to see how she does and what she can contribute to the team during matches.”

On Sept. 8, the girls won by a single stroke against Sacred Heart High School with a final score of 217-218. Looking ahead, Knight feels good about the season, although it will be hard.

“We should still be one of the top teams in the area, the girls will just have to work harder to maintain that level,” Knight said. “It definitely will be a character building experience for them.”