School will modernize library with makeover

Remodeling will create new student space

New spaces focused on student collaboration and interaction will be formed in the library, while books will be moved to a new second floor, according to Palo Alto High School’s administration.

The school will begin a makeover of the library,  this summer, and build additional science classrooms. The library will be cleared out and remodeled into a more modern two story building. The guidance office, college and career center and Associated Student Body will be located in the remodeled library on the first floor.

New additions to the first floor will include a makerspace, genius bar, collaborative classrooms, staff collaboration rooms, and a teacher work space. The library’s books will be moved to the second floor.

“[The library will be] very open, a lot of glass, skylights bring natural light in, so it won’t be dark,” Principal Kim Diorio said.

The addition to the science department will include four new science classrooms that will make up a  wing that will run alongside the new gym.

All ongoing costruction projects are on schedule, including the new Performing Arts Center which should be done in a March or April.

The new athletics facility, The Peery, is named after the donor family who donated money for the new complex. The Peery currently has no setbacks and is looking to be an 18-month to 2-year project.

“I think the weather could affect things but I think that’s taken under consideration when they set up the game plan,” Assistant Principal Jerry Berkson said.