Local proposition breakdown

Ten California state ballot propositions and 11 Santa Clara County measures are up for vote in the General Election, which will take place on Nov. 6.

The Santa Clara County measures range from Measure A to Measure L. If Measure A is approved it will increase the sales tax on goods and services by one-eighth of a cent for ten years. This increase is projected to result in a revenue for the county of $458 million.

“The County has taken a hard look at the future and how to fund critical services for our community, such as trauma and emergency services,” Board of Supervisors President George Shirakawa said. “With a questionable outlook for state and federal government funding, and after ten consecutive years of substantial budget reductions to services and programs, we need to look at other revenue sources for the benefit of the community.”

Measure B proposes the renewal of the special parcel tax assessed by the Santa Clara Valley Water District. If approved, the tax will remain in effect for 15 years. The proceeds from the tax would go to the District’s Safe, Clean Water and Natural Flood Protection Program, which support projects that ensure safe and reliable water.

“The district’s revenue is not sufficient to continue to supply clean, safe, reliable water going forward,” Linda LeZotte, chairwoman of the district’s board said.

Another local measure up for vote on November 6, is Measure C, which is the Palo Alto Medical Marijuana Dispensaries Initiative. If passed, this measure would approve an ordinance legalizing medical marijuana within city limits and could result in up to three Palo Alto marijuana dispensaries.

“We have a choice: capture these taxes for our city or continue to lose them to neighboring municipalities,” the petition states. “The ordinance will tax marijuana sales and place the revenue in the city’s general fund.”

If passed, Measure D would increase the minimum wage in San Jose to $10 per hour with yearly adjustments for inflation. Measure E would expand gambling by amending the Municipal Code in order to “allow the maximum number of Card Tables at San Jose’s two cardrooms to increase by 30 on January 1, 2013 and by an additional 30 on January 1, 2014; (2) allow Cardrooms to offer any form of gaming lawful in California after July 1, 2012, without additional voter approval; and (3) require San Jose to review rules for additional permissible gaming.”

Measure G, if passed, would authorize the Morgan Hill School District to borrow $198.3 million. According to the ballot, this money would go to “improve student access to computers and modern technology and provide a quality education, repair or replace leaky roofs, upgrade old plumbing, heating/cooling systems, classrooms and outdated restrooms, upgrade fire safety, maximize energy efficiency, improve handicapped accessibility, and modernize, construct and acquire classrooms, equipment, sites and facilities.”

Measure H offers to authorize the San Jose Unified School District to borrow $290 million. If passed, this money would go “to improve local schools and support academic programs, prepare students for jobs, save money and improve teacher retention by upgrading technology, classrooms and science labs, improving school safety and security, upgrading energy and water systems to improve efficiency, paying off facility leases, and repairing, constructing, or equipping facilities, sites or classrooms.”

Measure I would allow the East Side Union High School District to borrow $120 million. This money would help “upgrade computer/science labs; improve security/safety; repair, equip, and construct classrooms/facilities” in the local district.

Measure J would allow Alum Rock Union School District to borrow $125 million. If passed, this measure would approve money to be spent “to improve neighborhood schools by removing mold and asbestos; fixing leaky, deteriorated roofs; replacing inefficient/ aging heating, ventilation, and electrical systems to save money; improving fire safety/ security; updating computer technology/ science labs for 21st century learning; repairing aging restrooms; and acquiring, constructing, and repairing sites/ facilities.”

Measure K will exact a parcel tax of $79 each year for eight years, which would replace a similar measure passed in 2008 that is set to expire in 2013. This measure would not increase any other taxes besides the parcel tax. This revenue would go directly to “attracting and retaining quality teachers, maintaining strong core academic programs in reading, writing, math and science, providing updated classroom technology and hands-on science instruction, keeping libraries open” in the Berryessa Union School District.

Measure L will authorize Mount Pleasant School District to borrow $25 million. Specifically, the ballot says that the measure will provide funding “to facilitate math, science, reading/writing programs in local elementary/middle schools by upgrading classrooms, removing asbestos and hazardous materials, repairing dry rot, termite and structural damage, upgrading wiring and fire alarms for safety, repairing deteriorating restrooms, replacing leaky roofs, and acquiring, renovating, constructing classrooms, equipment, sites and facilities.”

Lastly, Measure M would limit the compensation of El Camino Hospital District and El Camino Hospital managers, executives and administrators.

All of these ten measures are up for vote Nov. 6 in Santa Clara County.