Girls golf ends season with dissappointing loss

Two thousand sixteen has been a year filled to the brim with unimaginable and unexplainable injustices. A 17-year-old gorilla shot and killed for the life of a young toddler, Britain left the European Union and Donald Trump — a non-politician — won the presidency.

However, none of these are even slightly comparable to the disgrace that was the outcome of the Palo Alto High School girls golf team that was met with a disappointing score, finishing sixth in the Northern California (NorCals) finals.

‘‘We’ve done really well this year and it has been a lot of fun. The team dynamic has been great and I think Paly will have a really strong golf team next year as well.’’

Elise Kiya

Senior

The team was disappointed with how they placed in NorCals, but proud of how they performed during the season regardless.

Junior Stephanie Yu, the second place winner of the individual title for her team, was hoping to score higher.

“We placed sixth out of 12 teams, even though I feel like we could have secured fourth if we played a little better,” Yu said. “We are already at a disadvantage because the top three teams at NorCals have only tournament players in their starting lineup, while we have a few who only play for school.”

The team shot a combined 417 in the finals losing to Saint Francis High School who shot a combined 380. Though dissatisfied with the final outcome, freshman Katherine Sung is still proud of how the team played this season.

“I think we did great as a team, especially advancing all the way to NorCals,” Sung said.

Though the team’s senior night was two weeks ago, the finals marked the last game for six members of the team.

It is evident that all of seniors will be missed by the rest of the team. Senior Elise Kiya reflects on the past season and looks towards the team future without her.

“I’m proud of how well the team did and what we accomplished this season,” Kiya said. “I’m sad that the season is over especially because it was my last season. We’ve done really well this year and it has been a lot of fun. The team dynamic has been great and I think Paly will have a really strong golf team next year as well.”

Yu will especially miss the seniors, who have been her team members for three years.

“I’m very sad to see them go, because I’ve grown so much as a golfer with them these past three years and cherished their support and team spirit. I wish them the best of luck in college,” Yu said.