ASB prepares for masquerade, intramural sports and more

After orchestrating a weeklong intramural basketball tournament, the Associated Student Body (ASB) will host a school-wide dance tonight ahead of plans for important events such as Prom and Teacher Appreciation Week.

The semi-formal dance will feature a masquerade theme and will be held in the small gym on March 2 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. The night marks one of the two dances Paly underclassmen are able to attend this year apart from Homecoming in October.

However, this dance will not be the only one ASB is preparing for in the near future. Coming up on April 14 is the most prominent and anticipated event of the year for upperclassmen, the annual Prom for juniors and seniors.

ASB announced the location of Prom — San Francisco City Hall — at the Winter Rally in January. Senior Class President Noga Hurwitz expects Prom to be a memorable experience for students.

“I visited [San Francisco City Hall] a few weeks ago with the upperclassmen officers and [an] event planner,” Hurwitz said. “Prom is going to be a beautiful and unforgettable night.”

Senior Class Vice President Michaela Fogarty shares Hurwitz’s optimism.

“We’re expecting turnout higher than ever this year because the junior and senior classes are so big,” Fogarty said. “Tickets are cheaper than last year, which we think students will be happy about.”

“I visited [San Francisco City Hall] a few weeks ago with the upperclassmen officers and [an] event planner”

Noga Hurwitz

Tickets will cost $120 per person without an ASB card and $110 per person with an ASB card. Scholarships are also available for Prom tickets, and those interested in getting one should contact Matt Hall, the Student Activities Director.

Additionally, there will be a hard close on ticket sales on April 1, the day before Spring Break begins.

Looking back at last year’s successful Teacher Appreciation Week, a time when students can express their appreciation for staff through written notes, ASB is planning this year’s Teacher Appreciation Week to unfold in a similar fashion sometime this spring. The event last year included a video exhibiting teachers’ reactions to student notes expressing appreciation for them.

“We’re expecting turnout higher than ever this year because the junior and senior classes are so big”

Michaela Fogarty

Senior Site Council Representative Kasra Orumchian expects the weeklong celebration to be popular among students.

“I think we’re going to do a teacher appreciation video,” Orumchian said. “It was a big hit last year, and a lot of students, teachers and community members appreciated it.”

Lastly, Sports Commissioner Benner Mullin expects ASB to unveil another sporting tournament this semester.

“Beyond basketball, ASB is also planning a volleyball tournament on the quad sometime in the spring,” Mullin said. “Most likely in May, similar to previous years’ [volleyball tournaments].”

Last month, ASB hosted several activities for students. Among them was the well-attended Quadglobe series, featuring student singers and performers on the quad during lunch for five consecutive days.