ASB to organize Field Day, other end-of-the-year events

Following Change In Our Schools (CIOS) Week, Teacher Appreciation Week and Prom, the Associated Student Body (ASB) is preparing to wrap up the year with a plethora of events, including Field Day, tournaments and graduation festivities.

The annual Field Day is was held on May 18 at lunch on the Quad, and it involved a myriad of activities, from inflatables to free barbeque. Classes that day were shortened to allow for an extended, 70-minute lunch.

ASB also hosted an annual volleyball tournament from May 21-25 on the Quad during lunch.

“[The activities we planned are] super fun and hopefully the students will appreciate [them] in this stressful time,” said Benjamin Rapperport, junior class Vice-President.

ASB is also making preparations for Baccalaureate, which will be held on May 27, as well as senior graduation following on May 31. Baccalaureate tickets will be distributed on the Quad at lunch on May 22 along with caps, gowns and yearbooks.

“The selection processes for graduation and Baccalaureate performers is just beginning, but we know there will be some talented performances and awesome speakers at both. ASB is excited to celebrate the class of 2018.”

Michaela Fogarty, senior class Vice-President

According to Fogarty, Students are not only looking forward to upcoming events, but have also enjoyed activities that ASB held in the past few weeks, such as Prom, CIOS Week and Teacher Appreciation Week.

“Prom was very successful,” Fogarty said. “We had great turnout and everyone seemed to have a great time at City Hall.”

A few weeks afterwards, the Social Justice and School Climate Commissioners, Claire Billman and Ricardo Lombera,  respectively, helped organize CIOS week, according to senior class President Noga Hurwitz. The week featured various activities focused on mental and emotional wellness. For Teacher Appreciation Week, ASB worked on gathering comments from students about their teachers, which were distributed throughout the week.

“Teacher appreciation week is one of the most important events Paly holds. We often take for granted how much work and time our teachers put in to try and get us the best education possible. [Teacher Appreciation Week] is a time to show them that we see what they are doing for us.”

Benjamin Rapperport, junior class Vice-President

With these events, the school year is gradually coming to an end, and ASB is looking forward to the year to come.

“[ASB is] excited to finish strong and hope[s] to have a really fun last month of school,” Rapperport said. “[We] are already thinking about next year and are insanely excited to do as much as possible for the student body. We have some never-before-done activities in the works and we know students are going to be excited for the new things we plan on bringing to the campus next year.”