Boys golf maintains strong winning streak

Despite the many challenges the Paly golf team has had to face, they remain unfazed and continue to succeed as the season comes to a close.

The golf team’s focus could be a crucial factor in advancing to the next round of competition. Although faced with difficulties, certain members have stood out and taken the reins in order to succeed.

Senior Sergi Matta has recently injured himself, meaning he cannot play in the second round of Central Coast Section (CCS).

According to sophomore Nathan Strope, “the team is still optimistic, due to the fact that our top four can shoot low.”

Additionally, the golf team’s focus could be a crucial factor in advancing to the next round of competition.

“A struggle has been just maintaining our focus when we play worse teams because it can get a little long and boring if its not competitive, but we can’t let off at any time.”

Ahmed Ali, senior

Although faced with difficulties, certain members have stood out and taken the reins in order to succeed.

With team leaders, Ahmed Ali, freshman Anthony Ha and sophomores Bob Zhu and Akira Isayama who all have proven themselves stellar golfers, the Paly golf team has won the Leagues tournament for the seventh year in a row. Now, they have a chance of making it to NorCal after receiving second in CCS qualifiers, only losing to Harker by one.

Not only has the team won on the course, but off of the course as well.

“I greatly enjoyed this season and appreciate all the energy that the members have contributed,” Zhu said. “I believe that by belonging to a small group like a golf team can change individuals to a team that work together, think together and succeed together. Thanks to coach Knight. Being part of the golf team will be a life lasting experience.”

According to Strope, “It’s been a great experience. Sko Vikes.”