Boys lacrosse implements training for new members to improve performance

Photo by Heather Song/The Campanile

Heather Song, Social Media Manager

Although varsity boys lacrosse suffered a 9-6 loss to Menlo-Atherton earlier this month, coach Edward Hattler said the team played well in this difficult match and will continue training the many newer players on the team. 

“We played tough, but we ended up losing, so we’re working on getting better,” Hattler said. “I’m proud of the improvements that we’ve made as a team so far. I’d like for us to continue to improve each day and each week.”

Hattler said that as a new high school lacrosse coach, teaching the players the game has been challenging.

“There’s a lot of kids that don’t have many years of experience playing.” Hattler said. “Everybody learning their positions and where they need to be has been a big challenge.”

Hattler said he hopes the team will perform well in its league. Additionally, Hattler said he plans to focus on the players’ determination and integrity.

“I’d like to create a culture where the team plays super hard, and we’re able to beat a more talented team based on our work ethic,” Hattler said.

Co-captain and senior Drew Ozgen said the team is persevering through troubles because many players lack experience.

“We have a lot of new and young players on our team,” Ozgen said. “It’s definitely a lot to learn in a few weeks. Fundamentally, we’re not as great as we could be, but we bring a lot of energy to our games.”

Ozgen said he looks forward to the potential of the current sophomores.

“A lot of our team is sophomores, so in two years, when they’re seniors, they will be able to bring a lot of talent to the team,” Ozgen said.

Despite having several inexperienced players, Ozgen said the team has made major improvements since the beginning of the season.

“I remember the first few weeks we were in shambles,” Ozgen said. “But we’ve grown a lot as a team and it’s definitely shaping into being a good team this year.”