Track and field face an abundance of injuries, remain optimistic for SCVAL and CCS Finals

Seven weeks into the season, multitudes of injuries, personal records and dual meet wins and losses have culminated in an extremely important home stretch. The track and field team is preparing for its final few meets before Santa Clara Valley Athletic League (SCVAL) trials kick off next week.

“The hardest part over the last couple weeks is that we’ve had a couple injuries — some of our top athletes have had some injuries,” head coach Michael Davidson said. “Some of them are coming back now, and the hope and the expectation is that they’ll be able to perform down the stretch.”

Senior and girls varsity captain Avery Bocksnick is one of these athletes, and has been dealing with injuries for the majority of this season.

“Individually, it’s been kind of rough. But I feel like I’ve ventured out and (tried) more events, which the coaches have wanted me to be doing — so it’s positive in that aspect.”

Avery Bocksnick

At the Serra Top 7 Invitational on March 23, the girls junior varsity team took eighth place overall. Junior and girls varsity captain Kai Douglas placed third with a season record in the 800 meter race, and senior Leon Lau placed second in the high jump with another season record.

“Overall, I think our team is pretty strong,” Bocksnick said. “Injuries have just been stopping everyone, and the season is a lot shorter (than) past years so it is harder to (give) yourself rest.”

On March 26, the team competed away at Los Gatos High School — both boys frosh/soph and girls junior varsity won. In the 1600 meter race, senior and boys varsity captain John Tayeri, The Campanile’s business manager, came in first, while senior Benjamin Huang came in third with personal records.

“We have a few people who are strong contenders to be in some of the top spots at CCS, so we’re hoping for a good performance (at qualifiers).”

Michael Davidson

The varsity teams competed at the Stanford Invitational that took place March 29 to 30, and the boys distance medley relay placed fourth in the event.

“My favorite part of this season (has been) invitationals,” Bocksnick said. “You get to see the mass majority of people who are just so (great) at this sport — the Stanford meet was just incredible to watch because there were Olympians there.”

The Arcadia Invitational took place April 5 to 6, and senior Henry Saul placed 12th in the seeded 3200 meter race.

“The girls (distance medley relay) had a great performance, and they had a (personal record) by 25 seconds over the course of the season, which is huge,” Davidson said. “Our time would have put as at tenth overall out of about 40 teams — but unfortunately we were disqualified due to some technicalities, so we are still trying to protest that.”

On April 16, the team competed in their final duel meet against Gunn High School and celebrated their senior night. Team members found amusing and unsightly photos of the seniors at meets and had the whole team sign the frames before gifting them to the seniors. In addition, underclassmen gave brief speeches for each senior.

“Before, there were always people to look up to — now, being a senior and a captain, it’s different because people are looking up to me now. You have to be a role model not only for yourself but for others too.”

Avery Bocksnick

In the upcoming week, SCVAL trials are on April 23 and 25, followed by SCVAL finals on May 3. Athletes who qualify through will then compete at Central Coast Section (CCS) Semi-finals on May 11, and CCS Finals on May 17 — the season will end with the California Interscholastic Federation State Championship Finals on May 25.