Girls lacrosse makes a comeback after losses

Nearing the end of the regular season, the girls varsity lacrosse team picked back up where it left off last month and kept its winning streak against Los Altos (16-14), Mountain View (11-10) and Gunn High School (11-6). Although the team has won five games and lost four, its only SCVAL league loss came from Los Gatos High School.

Sophomore midfielder Lulu Gaither said the team has been working on improving for the past few months and made a couple changes during practices, such as different types of warm-ups that will help them perform better in the game.

“We want to go in as strong as we can physically and as a team,” Gaither said. “Our coach has implemented a new warm up and drills, along with more footwork and strength building conditioning.”

With the end of the season approaching, Gaither said the team bonding has positively changed the way they have played in games.

“We’ve gotten closer as a team and I think that’s really affected how we communicate and connect in games. We’ve been working hard all season for all of our games, but some of our toughest competition include Gunn and Los Gatos.”

Sophomore Lulu Gaither

Girls varsity lacrosse coach Jamie Nesbitt reflects on the overall performance of the team.

“I think this year has been a year of challenges, including injuries, schedule updates, etc., but I’ve been impressed how the team keeps coming together to fight through them,” Nesbitt said.

Along with performing certain drills during practice and learning new skills, Nesbitt said  that one of the important things the team is currently working on is how to adjust immediately to improvements in-game.

“We have the talent to execute, but if there are changes we need to react to the other team, that only comes from game experience and preparing for uncommon situations.”

Jamie Nesbitt

Sophomore varsity player Andie Tetzlaff also believes the team has improved since the start of the season.

“We’ve been conditioning more and building our stamina and it has greatly affected our ability to play in games,” Tetzlaff said. “We are also cracking down on executing plays on offense which has also helped us a lot.”

Tetzlaff said what she will miss the most about the team is the seniors when they graduate.

“When the seasons over I’ll definitely miss the seniors the most,” Tetzlaff said. “They’re all very supportive and welcoming and they’re amazing role models for me and the other underclassmen.”