BREAKING: Santa Clara County moves back to purple tier

Santa Clara County, along with the majority of California, will revert to the strictest “purple” stage of lockdown, Governor Newsom announced in a press conference on Monday.

Prompted by the recent surge in COVID-19 cases throughout the nation, Newsom announced a return to the “purple tier” for most counties in the state, including Santa Clara County. This decision primarily affects establishments like gyms and restaurants that offer indoor dining, as well as the reopening protocols of schools.

Palo Alto Unified School District secondary schools will not be able to reopen until after they spend two weeks in the “red tier.” According to PAUSD Superintendent Don Austin, the secondary school reopening plan will proceed as scheduled if Santa Clara County gets downgraded to red tier before the second semester. 

However, elementary schools will not need to cease in-person operations.

“Our elementary schools have demonstrated an ability to follow rules, maintain distancing, and operate within cohorts,” Austin wrote in a letter to parents. “They will remain open at this point in time, per the Public Health Department guidelines.”

In a message to Paly athletes, Athletic Director Nelson Gifford announced that most Paly practices would continue despite the change in lockdown tier.

“In door workouts have been suspended until circumstances change,” Gifford wrote. “However, outdoor workouts will continue until we are otherwise directed.”

UPDATE: In a recent message to Paly athletes, Gifford wrote that all workouts would be suspended indefinitely until new guidelines are released by county officials.

This story will be updated as new information becomes available.