Girls tennis confident, tight-knit as season begins

After last year’s condensed season due to COVID-19 restrictions, members of the girls tennis team say they are looking forawrd to the promising season ahead. 

Senior Iris Lee said she is excited for this year because of how skilled her team is.

“We have a really strong lineup this season,” Lee said. “Our singles are decked out, and our doubles are also pretty good too.”

The team hasn’t played any matches yet, but senior Diana Narancic, the team’s physical and social director, said practices indicated a successful season. The team’s first match is an exhibition match against Aragon this Friday, Sept. 3.

“It’s been really nice to see all the girls and we’ve really come back with a better game,” Narancic said. 

Senior and co-captain, Agnes Mar said the team has focused on enjoying practices and building camaraderie.

“We’ve really tried to make practice fun by playing music and getting to know the new people on the team as well,” Mar said.

But coach Andy Harader said practices need to balance fun and focus. 

He said that this team can go all the way if they put in the effort.

“If everyone shows up and everybody plays seriously, there’s no reason that we can’t win a championship,” Harader said.  

Narancic also said COVID-19 restrictions and last year’s shortened season gave her a new perspective on tennis and her team. She said an absence of tennis from her life made her appreciate it more when practices resumed.

“After not being able to play with people last year, I realized how much more I love the game because it was more valuable,” Narancic said. “Quarantine made me love the game more because I was so far away from it for so long.”

Since this is Mar’s last season, she said she has every intention of finishing strong.

“It’s our last season, so hopefully we can do really well,” Mar said. “I’m confident that it’s going to be a good one.”