Football Overcomes injuries

Right before winning the team’s third game against the Santa Clara Bruins, 63-13, senior and offensive lineman/defensive end Jordan Fakataou said despite his team’s rocky start, he was looking forward to the rest of the season.

“I think those (first two) were good games for us because they were very challenging and made us compete at a higher level,” Fakataou said. “I think that there have been a lot of standout performances this season and those happen because the team plays well together.”

Fakataou also said the team’s individual roles meshing together are a key reason behind its recent success. Offense, defense and special teams are gelling into one unit.

“We’ve made a lot of mistakes, but we analyze them, fix them,

Photo by Cole Sturino

and move on.,” Fakataou said. “Our coaches are great. They analyze film, make a game plan and help coach us to be the best players we can be. Everyone does their part on the team, and we can’t be successful if one person slacks.”

Senior captain and running back Josh Butler said while he is disappointed by his own injury, he is impressed with the team’s ability to succeed.

“They are doing great and amazing,” Butler said. “It just hurts trying to be a captain while not on the field. Notable performances are everybody really. And being a running back, I have to give credit to the O-line because they are really starting to come together.”
Despite the team’s initial losses, Butler said he feels optimistic about the season ahead.

“The best game is the next game,” he said “We just try to pick up the win and move on to the next one.”