Police investigate armed robbery at Stanford Shopping Center

Photo by Eric Fan.

Police are investigating reports of an armed robbery earlier today at the Stanford Shopping center. Officials say a woman’s purse was stolen, though allegations of gunfire have not yet been substantiated.

The suspect, a male with curly hair in his early 20s described as wearing a dark sweater and dark shorts, fled the shopping center on a blue bicycle, the Palo Alto Police Department’s official report said. According to the report, no one, including the victim, was injured. 

In a press release, police said the robber approached two women outside of True Food Kitchen and demanded their purses, though initial reports of gunfire are now under investigation and have not yet been confirmed.

“Witnesses heard the suspect’s gun ‘click’ during the robbery,” the PAPD report said. “(They) believed it may have been a toy gun because they saw an orange tip on it.”

According to the report, no stores went into lockdown and the shopping center remains open to the public. Still, parents are worried by the implications of a robbery with the threat of violence, and about the safety of students in the area.

“As a parent, I wouldn’t mind seeing a ban on the production of the sale of handguns except for theatrical purposes,” former PAUSD parent Terry Connelly said. “Kids get enough shooting in video games, and I mean, we don’t sell pipe bombs — I think (this is) the best way to chip away at the second amendment.”

This story will continue to be updated.