Girls water polo overcomes rough start

With a 3-8 overall record (3-4 in league), the girls varsity water polo team hopes to increase team chemistry and bonding in order to reach CCS, Coach Roderick Rowell said. 

Rowell said despite the hurdle of integrating freshmen into the team, his athletes are growing as both individuals and as team players through hard work. 

“But what I really am looking forward to is to see how the team comes together and plays their best water polo at the end of the season,” Rowell said. 

Junior Grace Gormley also said the team is working to integrate freshmen into the team so that they can fine-tune their coordination. Gormley also said the team is working on creating stronger bonds to improve teamwork.

“It takes a lot of team chemistry to play a good team sport,” Gormley said. “Building those relationships and working together as a team in and out of the pool is really important to having a positive team environment and being able to convert that into a good team offense and team defense.”

Junior and co-captain Eliza Gaither said that despite having a rough start to the season, the team remains optimistic about future games.

“The beginning of our season was a little rough just because we hadn’t played together, and we hadn’t really worked cohesively in a game together,” Gaither said. “But right now, I think we’re just building up our momentum and we’re hoping to continue doing great things for the rest of the season and continue winning.”

Gaither also said the team is optimistic about going to CCS despite experiencing a few setbacks, including a 10-6 loss to Gunn during an away conference game.

Gaither said, “We were dealt with kind of bad circumstances (during the game against Gunn), and I think next time we play them, we really have a chance and (we’re) also just looking forward to hopefully making it to CCS.”

“We’re hoping to be qualifying for CCS and putting out some good light games,” Gormley said. “Just being competitive with the best teams out there and putting forth some great games.”

Rowell reiterates Gormley and Gaither’s mindsets.

“I think the upside of this team’s potential and how they work together is high.”