Girls field hockey moves to upper division

Photo by Brianna Zhou

Facing more competitive teams this season in the upper division of the Santa Clara Valley Athletic League, the girls varsity field hockey team has a record of 2-6.

Athletic Director and field hockey coach Jennifer Crane said Paly still has a new field hockey program, especially compared to the schools her team is playing who have had programs for much longer. 

“I think our biggest challenge is competing against these teams that have been long standing for over 25 years,” Crane said. “We are a new program — this is only our fifth season.”

Senior Mia Rose Tuifua said the team has managed to maintain its positivity and perseverance despite the challenges that come with competing against stronger teams. 

“I think something our team does really well is having a good attitude during games,” Tuifua said. “Even when we’re losing, we know how to pick each other up.” 

Senior and co-captain Lara Lew Strass said as the team members get closer and more familiar with each other, their performance will be better. 

“I think the beginning of the season is always the most challenging because it’s a new group of people, and you have to get used to the plays and grow as a team,” Lew Strass said. “But by the end of the season, I think we’re going to be really strong.”

Despite the adversity the team has been facing, Crane said the players have created an environment that promotes persistence and hard work. 

“It’s a good group of players that have come together,” Crane said. “I hear them talking about how much they love the team and the commitment they feel from within each other. That fosters an environment where everyone is committed and hardworking.”