Seniors defeat staff 27-25 at Winter Rally basketball game

Tyler Wong
Full of energy, seniors run onto the court after a close victory against staff. “I didn’t expect (my last shot) to go in, but as soon as it did, I (went) crazy,” Vetter said.

For the first time in over a decade, seniors claimed a victory against staff during the annual Winter Rally, which featured a student-vs-staff basketball game and revealed the upcoming Prom venue.

Senior Kara Vetter scored a three-point buzzer beater, ending the game with a final score of 27-25

Vetter said the energy of the crowd contributed to the liveliness of the game.

“All the seniors just really wanted to have fun and beat the staff, so having the support of the crowd really boosted us up there,” Vetter said. “I didn’t expect (my last shot) to go in, but as soon as it did, I (went) crazy.”

At the end of the second quarter, the game paused at a tie of 10-10, allowing for ASB to cast a video revealing the Prom site as Gilroy Gardens.

Senior Watson Koegler said he expected the seniors to dominate the game despite the initial tie. “I came in thinking it was going to be a shoot around,” Koegler said. “But once you get the 10-10, it’s like ‘OK, let’s turn it on a little bit.’”

Junior class Vice President Kennedy Do said she was excited for Prom at Gilroy Gardens.

“I think (Gilroy Gardens) is really fun and different because it is an outdoor venue, while typically most Prom venues are indoors,” Do said. “There’s going to be a lot of other activities as well as games and rides, so (Prom) will be more interactive.”

Paly special education therapist Ryan Fabie said the rally game provided a unique opportunity to bring students and staff together.

“I think kids enjoy seeing teachers doing normal things that even kids do,” Fabie said. “It builds out (mutual) connections.”