Badminton readies new members

Sophomore Nathan Lee practices his swing at badminton practice. “Our development and JV players are getting a lot of attention from our coaches,” Assistant Captain Abhi Deshpande said.

Badminton kicked off their season with 120 sign-ups for a traditionally 48-person team, according to junior and Varsity Badminton Assistant Captain Abhi Deshpande. 

Deshpande said sifting for dedicated players among the sign-ups is crucial for the team’s progress.

“A key to success is finding out who’s committed to the team and trying to help them (become) better players,” Deshpande said.

Sophomore and badminton player Venkatesh Bharadwaj said it can be challenging to accommodate a large number of participants due to the small number of courts in the big and small gyms.

“It’s been kind of difficult because we only have six courts, but we’re making it work,” Bharadwaj said. “It’s pretty organized and everyone’s putting in the effort so it’s all good.”   

Bharadwaj said it is important to integrate newcomers into the team by helping them improve with experience.

“We are trying to develop all of our players and get a few wins,”  Bharadwaj said. “Hopefully by the time they become sophomores, juniors and seniors, they can be a crucial part of this team.”

Deshpande said the team has shifted their focus this year to making sure the new players are more prepared for the season.

“We’re focusing more on improving our new players,” Deshpande said. “Our development and JV players are getting a lot of attention from our coaches.”

Deshpande said his personal goal for the season is qualifying for CCS this year. 

“I mostly look forward to playing my games, getting wins and hopefully going to CCS with my doubles partner,” Deshpande said.

The badminton team is gearing up for their first official game of the season against Lynbrook on March 7.